Social Studies TEKS Streamlining
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has legislative authority to adopt the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. In June 2017, the SBOE approved a process that will be used to streamline the social studies TEKS. SBOE members will nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the TEKS streamlining work groups. This page provides information regarding the streamlining of the social studies TEKS.
Streamlined Social Studies TEKS Adopted by State Board of Education
The State Board of Education (SBOE) gave final approval on November 16, 2018, to the streamlined social studies TEKS for K-8 and five high school social studies courses.
Elementary (Kindergarten-Grade 5)
The streamlined social studies TEKS for kindergarten-grade 5 will be effective on August 1, 2020, and implemented in classrooms beginning with the 2020-2021 school year.
Secondary (Grades 6-8 and High School)
The streamlined social studies TEKS for middle school and high school became effective on August 1, 2019, and will be implemented in classrooms beginning with the 2019-2020 school year.
The streamlined TEKS for grades 6-8 and high school are available at the following links with "Adopted 2018" in the title.
To see the version that reflects the changes approved by the SBOE to streamline the Social Studies TEKS, visit the Social Studies Streamlining Drafts web page.
Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups
The SBOE's new TEKS review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS work groups will be made throughout the TEKS review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups.
SBOE Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups (PDF, 173KB)
Applications were submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the process. Based on that review, SBOE members made nominations to work groups. TEA notified applicants of their nominations at each stage in the streamlining process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their work group meeting.
- TEKS work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's appointees for each work group. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the social studies TEKS streamlining process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.