Spanish Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies
This page provides information on topics such as curriculum, assessment and rules. We welcome any suggestions to improve this page for individuals working to provide high-quality academic programs for students whose first language is Spanish. Join the Spanish Curriculum Standards team mailing list and receive updates as information becomes available.
The Spanish language support team provides direction and leadership to the programs of Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies Kindergarten through grade 6. It also provides guidance to the field in issues related to the ELLA courses (grades 7 and 8), ESOL I and II for high school students, and the ELDA course for EL students enrolled in high school.
The Spanish language support team collaborates with the Student Assessment Division to develop state Spanish assessments in Language Arts areas, Mathematics, and Science. It also assists the Instructional Materials Division in overseeing the state instructional materials adoption process for grades K-6 instructional materials, and contributes to the development of different Spanish materials deemed high priority for educators, stakeholders and public in general, such as the Dyslexia Handbook.
The Spanish language support team does the following:
- Assists districts statewide with implementation of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for Spanish Language Arts, Mathematics and Science
- Collaborates with the Division of Student Assessment in the development of state Spanish assessments
- Assists the Division of Instructional Materials in overseeing the adoption process for grades K-6 Spanish instructional materials
- Provides on-going communication with the field related to the both Spanish TEKS and content academic areas
TEKS in Spanish
The following web pages provide access to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies, both English and Spanish versions.
- Chapter 128. Spanish Language Arts and English as a Second Language
Spanish Language Arts and Reading grades K–5 (Spanish translation)
Spanish Language Arts and Reading grade 6 (Spanish translation)
- Chapter 111. Mathematics
Spanish Mathematics grades K–5 (Spanish translation)
Spanish Mathematics grade 6 (Spanish translation)
- Chapter 112. Science
Spanish Science grades K–5 (Spanish translation)
Spanish Science grade 6 (Spanish translation)
- Chapter 113. Social Studies
Spanish Social Studies grades K–5 (Spanish translation)
Spanish Social Studies grade 6 (Spanish translation)
Revised TEKS Resources
The resources for the revised English (ELAR) and Spanish Language Arts and Reading (SLAR) TEKS web page were created to assist parents and teachers in the transition to the revised English and Spanish Language Arts and Reading TEKS adopted in 2017. In grades kindergarten–grade 8, the revised TEKS are to be implemented beginning with 2019-2020 school year. In grades 9-12, the revised TEKS are to be implemented beginning with 2020-2021 school year. The resources include the assessed curriculum for STAAR Spanish and a side-by-side comparison of the 2017 and 2009 SLAR TEKS by grade level.
STAAR Spanish Specific Resources
Please use the links below to access Spanish specific resources and complementary information.
- RLA Assessed Curriculum
- RLA Blueprint
- RLA Performance Level Descriptors
- RLA Scoring Guide
- Writing Rubrics
- Mathematics Assessed Curriculum
- Mathematics Test Blueprint
- Mathematics Performance Level Descriptors
- Mathematics Reference Materials
- Science Assessed Curriculum
- Science Blueprint
- Science Performance Level Descriptors
- Released STAAR Tests
Additional Spanish Resources
Please use the links below to access additional resources.
- Resources for the Revised Spanish Language Arts and Reading TEKS
- English to Spanish/ESL 2017 comparison documents
- ELDA, ELLA, and ESOL FAQs (coming soon)
- Dyslexia Handbook (both English and Spanish versions)
- Signup to Serve in Educator Committees
List of English and Spanish terms from the K–6 TEKS:
- Mathematics and Reading Academies
- Interim Assessments (in Spanish)
- 2014-2018 Commissioner's List of Reading Instruments
- Educator Certification Rule
If you need information about Spanish high school courses, please refer to the Language Other Than English (LOTE) web page.