ESSER I Grant Program
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) I grant program is authorized in Title VIII, Division B, of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which was signed into law in March 2020.
The period of availability for ESSER I grant funds is from March 13, 2020 (with pre-award) to September 30, 2022 (with carryover).
The ESSER I FAR code is 266.
The Entitlements page lists ESSER I amounts allocated to eligible LEAs by LEA and ESC.
Refer to the ESSER Fund Allocation Procedures for details on TEA's method for allocating ESSER funds.
ESSER Training and Resources
- ESSER FAQ: Answers to frequently asked questions are listed in the ESSER FAQ. The FAQ will be updated regularly. Use the ESSER FAQ Submission form to submit new ESSER questions to TEA staff.
- ESSER Side-by-Side: The ESSER Side-by-Side Requirements Document provides an overview of the three ESSER grants.
- Statewide Training: TEA staff presented a statewide training on the ESSER grants in May 2021. The Grant Program Overview provides information applicable to the ESSER grant applications and requirements.
To meet ESSER requirements, TEA has developed the following forms:
- Justification/Documentation of Allowable Use of ESSER Funds: Complete this form to document activities funded with ESSER grant funds. The form is maintained locally and provided to TEA only upon request.
- Pre-Approval for Construction, Remodeling, Alteration, Renovation, or Repair Costs: Renovations and repairs that require pre-approval include HVAC, ventilation, and air quality costs.
The Department of Grant Compliance and Administration administers a random validation monitoring process to ensure LEAs are in compliance with ESSER I requirements.
ESSER I Random Validation Checklist
ESSER I Random Validation Cover Sheet
ESSER I Random Validation Guidance Document
ESSER I Random Validation Guidance Instructions
ESSER I Random Validation Timeline
ESSER I Random Validation Uploading Instructions
Annual Performance Reporting
LEAs that accept ESSER I grant funds are required to meet performance reporting requirements.
- ESSER I Annual Performance Report (due 01/27/2021)
Grant Application Materials
Materials related to ESSER I grant funds are available at the following links: