Process for Certification of 2019–2020 Indirect Cost Rates for Independent School Districts (ISDs) Only

  PDF Version 


April 25, 2019 


Process for Certification of 2019–2020 Indirect Cost Rates for Independent School Districts (ISDs) Only 


Funding Implications and Pending Deadline  


ISDs to certify ICRPs by 5/17/19 to receive indirect cost rates for


The purpose of this letter is to inform independent school districts (ISDs) that the Texas Education Agency (TEA) has uploaded the completed Indirect Cost Rate Proposals (ICRPs) in GFFC Reports and Data Collections. ISDs that requested an indirect cost rate must review, certify, and approve their ICRP data by May 17, 2019.

Process for Requesting Indirect Cost Rates for ISDs 

Effective with school year 2018–2019, ISDs must request an indirect cost rate each year by completing and submitting the ICRP Additional Costs Workbook (ACW), as described in a To the Administrator Addressed letter of November 29, 2018. The deadline for submitting the workbook, and thus requesting indirect cost rates, was January 18, 2019. 

The submission of the ICRP ACW serves as an ISD’s request for indirect cost rates. Rates are calculated only for ISDs that submitted a completed ICRP ACW. TEA received ICRP ACWs from the majority of Texas ISDs. For ISDs that did not submit a completed ICRP ACW, TEA did not calculate or issue rates for the 2019–2020 school year. 

ACW and PEIMS Data 

In completing an ICRP ACW, an ISD provided approximately 10% of the data required to complete the ICRP. TEA drew the remaining 90% of required ICRP data from the ISD’s certified Texas State Data System/Public Education Information Management System (TSDS/PEIMS) data. 

TEA populated the completed ICRP for each ISD that submitted an ICRP ACW by merging TSDS/PEIMS data with the ISD’s submitted ACW data.

Reviewing, Approving, and Certifying the ICRP 

The ICRP is available in the secure GFFC Reports and Data Collections application, accessible through TEAL. To receive TEA’s calculated indirect cost rates, an ISD must review, approve, and certify its completed ICRP. 

Instructions for completing the ISD review/approval/certification process are available in the ICRP Certification Instructions posted on the Indirect Cost Rates webpage. The Certification Instructions describe the ICRP review process and provide a step-by-step on how to certify and submit the ICRP Certification. The certification serves as an ISD’s approval of the final restricted and unrestricted indirect cost rates for 2019–2020. 

2019–2020 Indirect Cost Rates for ISDs Timeline Summary 

The following table lists the status of milestones in the indirect cost rate process: 




November 29, 2018 

ICRP ACW is made available via the Indirect Cost Rate webpage and the secure GFFC Reports and Data Collections application, accessible through TEAL


January 18, 2019 

Due date for ISDs to submit the ICRP ACW requesting an indirect cost rate. 


January– April, 2019 

TEA reviews ICRP ACWs; requests clarification and/or re-submissions, as needed; and merges ACW data with TSDS/PEIMS data to create completed ICRPs. 


April 25, 2019 

TEA posts completed ICRPs in GFFC Reports and Data Collections for ISD review, approval, and certification. 


May 17, 2019 

Due date for ISDs to submit ICRP Certifications in GFFC Reports and Data Collections, accessible through  TEAL

Next LEA step

July 1, 2019 

TEA posts Indirect Cost Rate notification letters in GFFC Reports and Data Collections, accessible through TEAL2019–2020 indirect cost rates become effective. 

Final step pending


Refer to the Indirect Cost Rates page of the TEA website for more information on indirect cost rates. 

For Further Information 

If you have questions about the indirect cost rate process, please email