STAAR Interim Assessments
Overview of STAAR Interim Assessments
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has created optional online interim assessments that align to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Test questions for the STAAR Interim Assessments are developed with Texas teachers and include some former STAAR items. These assessments will be available at no cost to districts and open-enrollment charter schools, and they are not tied to accountability.
STAAR Interim Assessments will continue for the 2021–2022 school year and will be hosted on Cambium's assessment platform.
Key Dates and Details for 2021–2022
|July 31, 2021||Registration available|
|August 20, 2021||
|September 7, 2021-December 17, 2021||Administration Window 1: grades 3–8 reading, Spanish grades 3–5 reading, grades 3–8 mathematics, Spanish grades 3–5 mathematics, Algebra I, English I, and English II|
|November 8, 2021-April 15, 2022||Administration Window 2: grade 5 science, Spanish grade 5 science, grade 8 science, grade 8 social studies, Biology, and U.S. History|
|January 10, 2022-April 15, 2022||Administration Window 3: grades 3–8 reading, Spanish grades 3–5 reading, grades 3–8 mathematics, Spanish grades 3–5 mathematics, Algebra I, English I, and English II|
reading, grade 8 social studies, English I, English II, U.S. History
Content and Language Supports
available for all English and Spanish assessments
|Text-to-Speech||available for all English and Spanish assessments|
- Results from the STAAR interim assessments will be reported in Cambium's centralized reporting system (CRS). CRS will contain district-level, campus-level, and student-level reports. Reports at the student level will include the following data:
- the student’s response to each test question,
- the TEKS student expectation for each test question,
- a pop-up window that shows the test question
- item-level reporting information, and
- Reporting Category targets.
- Reports will continue to include data files and percentages representing the statistical probability of achieving “Approaches,” “Meets,” and “Masters” grade level expectations on STAAR.
STAAR 2020-2021 Interim Assessments Summary Report (PDF posted 8/30/21)
STAAR 2019–20 Interim Assessments Summary Report (PDF posted 3/2/21)
STAAR 2018–19 Interim Assessment Technical Report (PDF posted 9/25/20)
STAAR Interim Assessments Educator Guide with FAQs (PDF posted 8/24/21)
Data File Layout (PDF posted 7/28/21)
Courtesy At Home Testing Parent and Student Letter for District Use
TEA has created this resource as a courtesy. Districts may use this document to share with students or parents of students who are completing the STAAR Interim Assessments at home. The file includes both an English and a Spanish version of the letter.
Courtesy At Home Testing Parent and Student Letter (English and Spanish PDF posted 8/24/21)
STAAR Interim Assessments Blueprints
- Grades 3-8 Mathematics, Grades 3-8 R/LA, Grades 5 and 8 Science, Grade 8 Social Studies, English I and English II, Algebra I, Biology, U.S. History
- STAAR Interim Assessments Overview: This video is intended for all curious audiences! Educators, parents, and administrators can learn the purpose and design of the STAAR Interim Assessments.
Please see dates and details related to training below.
- July 14, 2021 - Learning Management System (LMS) Live
- August 20, 2021 - STAAR Interim Assessments overview training video on LMS
- September 10, 2021 - Centralized Reporting System (CRS) Live Webinar (Register on LMS)
- September 17, 2021 - Educator Training Modules on LMS
For additional information, contact TEA using the Student Assessment Help Desk or call 512-463-9536.
Campuses or districts that want to share resources created in-house related to STAAR Interim Assessments can send those to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources shared will be available on this page for other districts to access and use.