Certification Based on Credentials from another Country
Individuals who hold all 3 of the following may apply for a review of out-of-country credentials:
- The equivalent of a bachelor’s degree granted by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States.
- Completed an educator preparation program, including a teaching practicum.
- Hold an appropriate educator certificate or credential issued by another country.
The detailed checklist below can be used to guide you through the entire process.
You must apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $164 non-refundable fee.
- Create a TEAL user account.
- Submit an original course-by-course evaluation by a recognized foreign evaluation service. On the application form, indicate the “Texas Education Agency” for purpose of evaluation. The evaluation must be signed by an authorized representative of the evaluation service and must verify that the applicant:
- holds the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree granted by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, including the month, day, and year that the degree was conferred
- has completed an educator preparation program, including teaching practicum
- holds an appropriate educator certificate or credential issued by another country, including the effective date and validity period of the certificate, certification areas, and grade levels
The following organizations are members of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) and have been vetted by the TEA to provide specific required information in the evaluation for educators applying for a Texas review of credentials. For your credential evaluation to be accepted, you must select a company from this list.
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
- Bruscan Educational Information Services
- Center for Educational Documentation, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators
- Educational Perspectives
- Educational Records Evaluation Service
- Foreign Credential Evaluations, Inc.
- Foreign Credential Services of America
- Foundation for International Services, Inc.
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Global Education Group, Inc.
- Globe Language Services
- Institute of Foreign Credential Services (IFCS)
- International Academic Credential Evaluator, Inc
- International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
- International Evaluation Service
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
- Scholaro (formerly Foreign Credits, Inc.)
- SDR Educational Consultants
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
- World Education Services, Inc.
- Worldwide Education Consultant Services, Inc.
- Submit acceptable documentation of English language proficiency.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you did not complete a program in another country, including student teaching, you do not qualify for a review of credentials and would be required to go through a Texas Educator Preparation Program.
Individuals who hold the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree granted by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, who have completed an educator preparation program, including a teaching practicum, and who hold an appropriate educator certificate or credential issued by another country may apply for a review of credentials.
Without a standard teaching certificate, you are not eligible for a review of credentials. We do not review transcripts, degree level or completion of program coursework. You will be required to go through a Texas Educator Preparation Program.
Social Security Number Required for Certification
Before a certificate can be issued, you must complete the fingerprinting process. To complete this process, you must first obtain a social security number. For more information on how to obtain a social security number, visit the Social Security Administration website.
Option 2-Educator Certification
Option 5-Educator Preparation Programs
Testing questions: (512) 463-9039
Please use the TEA Help Desk to submit your questions. Allow several business days for staff to respond to your ticket.