Optional Flexible Year Program
The Optional Flexible Year Program (OFYP) allows districts or open-enrollment charter schools to modify their instructional calendar to provide a flexible year program to meet the educational needs of its students. This includes the provision of intensive instructional services for students in any grade who meet one of the following criteria:
The student did not or is not likely to achieve a passing score on an assessment instrument administered under the Texas Education Code (TEC), §39.023.
The student is not eligible for promotion to the next grade level.
OFYP applications that reduce the number of school day minutes to fewer than 75,600 minutes for students who meet the eligibility requirements will not be approved.
Law and Rules
- Texas Education Code: §29.0821, Optional Flexible Year Program
- Commissioner's Rules: 19 Texas Administrative Code §129.1029, Optional Flexible Year Program
Districts must submit an annual application notifying the Texas Education Agency (TEA) of their plans to participate in the OFYP. In addition to the application, districts must submit a letter to the TEA with the following information:
- the proposed modifications to the instructional calendar
- a description of the OFYP that will be provided under the Texas Education Code, §29.0821
- the date on which the school district board of trustees approved the modified instructional calendar
If a district is requesting a waiver of staff development days or teacher preparation days, the letter must also indicate approval from the campus site-based decision-making committee.
These annual announcement letters explain any program changes that may have occurred since the previous year.
- OFYP Application (PDF, 203 KB)
Please email the completed application to email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 2022-2023 OFYP Districts (October 2022) (PDF, 81 KB)
- 2021-2022 OFYP Districts (May 2022) (PDF, 106 KB)
- 2020-2021 OFYP Districts (May 2021) (PDF, 81 KB)
- 2019-2020 OFYP Districts (May 20, 2020) (PDF, 18 KB)
- 2018-2019 OFYP Districts (March 27, 2019) (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2017-2018 OFYP Districts (March 27, 2019) (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2016-2017 OFYP Districts (Revised October 25, 2016) (PDF 60 KB)
- 2015-2016 OFYP Districts (Revised April 2016) (PDF 27.3 KB)
- 2014–2015 OFYP Districts (Revised August 2015) (PDF 32 KB)
- 2013–2014 OFYP Districts (Revised September 2014) (PDF 118 KB)
- 2012–2013 OFYP Districts (Revised June 2013) (PDF 60 KB)
- 2011–2012 OFYP Districts (Revised May 2012) (PDF 82 KB)